~经言/歌词~

I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
~ Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Young ICT Researchers Colloquium 2010

Last year, en I actually forget when was the exact month for us to have our first colloquium meeting, thought it may mostly in between month of September or October. Anyway, when I was first been told that we, as a Postgraduate student in FCSIT, Unimas, were required to organize an activity, a colloquium, "wth is colloquium?", this was the first thing came to my mind. Well, I got to check with dictionary, and then I know, it is some sort like a conference, a mini conference, a meeting that encourage the exchange the ideas.

Ok, since this is the request from the faculty, what can we do? After going through some elections and voting, each of us, (when i said us, it refers to the people who graduated from year 2009), having a different pos. And I was in the group of "Logistics, Media and Publicity", in charge of the banners, posters printing quotations.

I never had this kind of experience, and not even understand what is "quotation" mean indeed. I only know that Waiyee keep complaining a lot about the quotation stuffs before this, as at that time she was requesting for quotations from companies, but these companies always not replying her or telling her that "soon, soon and soon". But I not really understand what is that, not until I asked Waiyee. Then I know, when we want to buy something for an organizations, we need to request for the quotations for the particular thing from different companies, and these companies will quote a list of prices according to our requests. Then that what we called as quotations, from the quotations given, we will choose the company that provides with cheapest price, normally.

When I know what quotation is, another problem came. How do I actually know which companies actually providing the banners printing services? Nothing much I can do but date Miss Google. I found some of the companies that providing these kinds of printing services, then I email and asking for the quotations. Oh ya, I did ask Elise as well, because we did organize a camp for a private secondary school, San Chong, before this. And they had  a big banner. I thought Elise was the person in charge for this, so I asked for her opinions, and she did give me some phones numbers, and I called one by one. Wasted lot of moneys on making calls. T_T

Anyway, I was managed to get quotations from three different companies. And thanks to Leena as well, as she got one quotation for me, haha. However, during the meeting, my work was actually ignored, but never mind, as I know, these printings, were assisting the colloquium, it is a must, but it is not the most important. As long as I got my job done and seriously I thought I was done.

At first, I thought I was only in charge in asking for quotations, and maybe help them to email the jpeg or pdf file to the company and print it out. I was too naive to think that I was actually off from the job. During the meeting, I thought someone is going to take over the banner design and posters design job, but ended up, I was the one! Gosh, I thought I was only in charge of the quotations, and when the hell decided I should design? And heaven knows, how "creative" I am. I was panic, honestly. Luckily, Waiyee took over the poster designs, and she already designed the posters. She sent me the resources required for the banner design, as we had to synchronize the designs between the web banner and the actual banner. Huh, I was actually felt relieve when I saw the web banner as I did not need to modify much, since the coherence between the banners is a must.

From there, I started to design the banner, one for horizontal, and another for vertical. I sent quite a number of times to one of our lecturers in faculty, Mr. Tn Haji Syahrul to make sure my design was ok before sending for printing. After get the design done, then I got back to the printing company that we had chosen to fill in the details. From the email conversations, I know that, in order for the company to start to print, I needed to get a LPO (Legal Purchase Order) from the office. When I first saw LPO, another WTH pop out from my head. So many jargons for me.

Anyway, when I got all the things ready, and got the printed banners from the company, I spent around 4 months. Well, I know, that was my problem, as there were always delays in designing the banners, asking for the details, forget this and that, but still managed to get the things done, guess one and half or two months before the colloquium actually starts.

At first, we were planning on doing a Borneo colloquium, inviting the postgraduate students from all the universities, and institutions from Sarawak, Sabah and Brunei. However, it seems like a bit ambitious, as no much but only two students from SwinBurne, Kuching submitted their papers. Anyway, we were still glad as we received a paper from UPM, but due to some reasons, she was unable to attend this colloquium at the end.

Yesterday, 12th of May, we started our colloquium. I was the second person presenting among all the presenters, and first one among my beloved friends. Nervous, was the only thing that I could felt during that moment. When I went up to the stage, I was barely looking at the audiences, and I talked fast, because I had 15 minutes to finish 22 slides. When I saw the chairperson informing me I have 5 minutes left, I was too panic, and could even speak properly. It was a mess. I thought my presentation was bad, but friends told me that I was actually doing a good job. I was doubting as friends always said nice thing to u, haha. However, when I met my supervisor, Dr Edwin, he also said that I did a pretty well job, did I? Being honest, I do really feel like I ruin the presentation. Just now my senior, Elly told me that, when I was presenting, I was like a salesman, promoting the products, in a convincing way. Is this a compliments? And, I been told that, I was very steady on the stage, and they even saw many poses from me, gosh!!!Poses??!! *head shake*

Finally, today it came to end, officially closed on 1300, we all felt relieve at the mean time, tired, and exhausted. Indeed, I learned a lot from the process, at least I know few terms which I did not know before this, haha. Tonight, I can sleep tight.

No comments: